Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 8, 2012

January Blues

January is often labelled as a depressing month. Dark evenings coupled with darker mornings do little to lift our moods and apathy is the general consensus. Most of us are loath to return to the humdrum routine of work or college. The lead up to Christmas is filled with anticipation and it helps to have something to look forward to.The downside of this is that a return to the mundane duties of everyday life can be quite depressing.


The festive season often leaves us a few pounds heavier due to the tradition of pigging out during the holidays. This is not something to feel guilty about. Food and drink are a huge part of the festivities and why not! This said, the battle of the bulge is not exactly enjoyable. The spare tyre accumulated over Christmas is difficult to shift when Irish weather is not exactly accommodating to outdoor exercise. A conversation struck up as I waited in the bank the other day informed me that there are many of us feeling this way.


 The lady in question cursed those 'damn biscuits'. All I could do was laugh for I was feeling exactly the same. Sweet wrappers from selection boxes and tins of Roses litter trouser pockets, dressing gowns and for those who attempt to hide their sweet tooth wrappers are always to be found down the back of the couch! Great fun at the time but shifting those few pounds is never an easy task.The rain that has featured every day since January 1st shows no sign of abating. It may be time to start that dreaded detox or diet. Thinking about it is definitely the worst part. Once you have begun you will most likely wonder why it took you so long to start.

image: stock.xchng

Another thing that struck me this Christmas was how emigration has taken such a hold on our nation. It is no longer just an option for the youth of today but a necessity. Once I have completed my masters degree will I too be forced to look further afield to kick start my career? Considering the stories I've heard from those living in Australia and New Zealand combined with the sunnier climes perhaps this isn't such a bad option after all. Christmas abroad is not for me but January is the sun,now that could be somtething I could get used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment